Monday, October 20, 2008

World Series Prediction and What I Learned This Weekend

World Series Prediction

Surprise, surprise. I was right on with my playoff predictions. It took the Rays an extra game to kill off the Red Sox, but perhaps it was my hubris that told me they'd take it in six. Garza was dominant last night and only let up 1 run to the Manny-less Sox lineup for about 7 innings. Then Price pitched out of a hell of a jam in the 8th and the Rays are your new American League Champions.

They'll have their hands full with the Phillies though. The Phils are definitely the best team in the National League. They have great bullpen that doesn't lose a lead heading into the later innings. They get along better as a team and play better as a result (ahem, Cubs). What is surprising, and scary, is that they got to the Series with very little production from Ryan Howard. He's a streaky hitter and he's due at some point to go nuts. I'm sure the World Series provides a little motivation for players to give it their best. Watch out for Ryan Howard. Obviously Chase Utley and James Rollins will bring it every night.

The Rays have offensive punch too. BJ Upton and Evan Longoria have been dropping bombs this entire fall. Pena, Crawford, and Baldelli have been doing their part too. The best aspect of the Rays offense, though, is its speed. They have Upton, Crawford, Bartlett, and Iwamura who can steal bases at any point in the game. They were virtually unstoppable in the ALCS. Its also a defensive advantage too.

I think the make or break here is the starting rotation. The Rays are just deeper than the Phillies. The Phils have the only true ace in this series with Cole Hamels. But the rest of the rotation looks pretty shaky. Jamie Moyer got tagged up pretty badly in both of his starts and Joe Blanton is hit or miss. Whereas Sheilds, Sonnanstine, Kazmir, and Garza have been more than solid all postseason. As a staff, the Rays only gave up 5 runs or more once during the course of the postseason. I think pitching will be the difference here. Plus the DH advantage always goes to the AL team.

This is one rare championship series where I wish both teams could win because the Phillies are very good and I like their players. But the Rays are like children to me at this point, so after much contemplation (5 minutes):

Prediction: Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays in 6

What I Learned This Weekend:

The Browns are Atrocious

Yeah, last weekend I added the caveat that I wouldn't make my final judgment on the Browns until the Redskins game. Well they shit the bed. Why go for two 30 yard bombs when you could have simply went short and made the tying field goal a little easier for your kicker? The coaching staff needs to really take the blame here. They had an enthusiastic team coming off a big win and they allowed the letdown game to happen. That is unacceptable. You have to ride that high into the next game and the next game's preparation. It seems like Romeo just gave the guys the week off! Another aspect of the coaching disaster is poor clock management. Romeo again failed to use timeouts ineffectively to move the ball into field goal range; resulting in a 52 yard attempt for the tie. Ridiculous. Someone UNLEASH THE FUCKING OFFENSE FOR THE SAKE OF MY MENTAL HEALTH!

I can't write anymore about this or I will kill someone.

The Bills Might Win the AFC

I didn't watch this game (and I probably couldn't have if I lived in Buffalo) but the linescore tells me something. These guys can win games and do so in definitive fashion. It looks like Trent Edwards is recovering fine after getting knocked the fuck out a couple of weeks ago. Marshawn, Lee Evans, and the rest of the Buffalo offense seems to be in synch. This is good news especially considering the impact concussions have had on quarterbacks in the past.

The only things that stand in the way of Buffalo and Super Bowl berth are the Steelers and the Titans. The Titans are of the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs mold. They have an a very solid defense and somehow score points with a washed up quarterback to win games. Its pretty impressive. The Steelers, I still consider a flawed team. Roethlisberger might not be alive at the end of the season and their defense is beatable this season. Their corners are doing well and their pass rush is coming around, but I still don't see them being as dominant as Steelers teams of the past.

The Bills have the most well rounded teams of the contenders. Good solid defense and can move the ball either on the ground or through the air. This is HUGE considering the fact that they play in Buffalo and snow season is just around the corner up there. I like the Bills in the East and they may even make me pick them for the AFC in general. With the Browns tanking their season with terrible coaching and staph infections, all I have to say is Lets Go Buffalo.

Fuck the Red Sox.

I think this one is self explanatory. I hate "Red Sox Nation". Long live Rays Republic until the beat the Indians in heartbreaking fashion at some point. But until then...Go Rays.

No comments: