Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Battle of Lake Erie

On January 6, 1990, the "Old Browns" (the team that would leave Cleveland become the Ravens and win the Super Bowl) played the Buffalo Bills in a heartbreaking game that fractured my 8 year old psyche.

The 89 season is kind of the lost season during the Bills amazing run. In 88 everyone was so excited the Bills were good, their loss to the Bengals in the "jungle" did not seem so bad. However, in 89 the Bills were suddenly favorites to go to the Super Bowl. After a disappointing regular season, the Bills still made the playoffs where anything could happen.

"Anything can happen" hasn't really been kind to the Bills (besides the greatest comeback ever). Usually "anything can happen" is a missed kick to lose the Super Bowl, or an insane lateral with seconds left on the clock that knocks you out of the playoffs. This forgotten "anything can happen," the Bills had the ball on the Browns 12 yard line and were trailing 34-30 with just a few seconds remaining. Jim Kelly threw a perfect pass to Ronnie Harmon which he inexplicably dropped.

The next play Clay I sell cars in Cleveland Matthews picks off Jim Kelly at the one yard line with 9 seconds left ending the Bills season.
The game did, however, give us the above amazing Don Beebe picture which has made innumerable highlight videos.

Flash forward 18 years and the Bills and "new" Browns meet in Cleveland in what is for all intents and purposes a playoff game. I'm hoping the game sparks a new rivalry between the Lake Erie teams. It is a very doable drive (my brother and his posse are going to the game), and the argument over who has suffered more is always heated. Also, the teams will meet again next year as both have wrapped up second place in their respective divisions. I'm giddy.

I'm also starting to believe in Trent Edwards. His 70 yard touchdown to Lee Evans on Sunday was beautiful. I am glad JP got another chance, I think he deserved it. Unfortunately, for JP it did not work out. Like an insecure girl who jumps from long term boyfriend to long term boyfriend Edwards has me hooked.

Other NFL thoughts:
  • It doesn't look like three last place teams are going to make it to the playoffs this year. I hope only one does, as Cleveland is the only serious contender left. You can pretty much stick a fork in the Redskins, Lions, and Cardinals because of the inspired play of the Vikings.
  • In my fantasy playoffs I am playing the team that has Tom Brady and Ladanian Tomlinson...pray for me.
  • Am I the only one excited for the return of Kyle Orton? He better have his Scott Niedermayer like beard on display too.
  • I can't believe NBC flexed the Vikings/Redskins game. Granted, I am totally biased, but I wanted Bills/Giants. No matter the network it is 100% guaranteed that the Scott Norwood kick will be shown and discussed---Bills fans just be prepared.

1 comment:

Average at Best said...

I almost bought a Honda from Clay Matthews back in the day!