Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Monday Night Football

It is in the depths of hell that love is cultivated and strengthened. It is in the fires of the underworld where commitment and dedication are sculpted. After enjoying a weekend in upstate New York and seeing a Monday Night Football game in Buffalo, I salute you Buffalo fans. You've been through 4 Superbowl losses, the Music City Miracle, the No Goal, and a bunch of other stuff I probably left out. However, after tailgating and watching a game on a brutal (yet beautiful) Buffalo winter night, I have found new respect for your kin.

Let me say this: the main lot in front of Ralph Wilson Stadium looks like hell. It has fires burning, people in the strangest outfits, crazy music, and possessed Bills fans. It could be something straight out of Mad Max Return to Thunderdome. I was fortunate that my medium sized William Green jersey didn't fit over my winter jacket and various other gear I had on. Otherwise, I might have been maimed or killed. The atmosphere was very hostile to opposing fans, as it should be. In fact, I would have to say it was worse than tailgating in front of Browns Stadium. Obviously I've never experienced life as an away fan in Cleveland (interesting experiment idea, however I'd like to live a little longer), but I have seen the treatment they get. It's worse in Buffalo.

Ralph Wilson Stadium itself isn't too pretty. I wasn't able to check out all the bells and whistles but it is an old school stadium with all of its charm coming from the loudspeakers and the seats. There really isn't any wow factor when looking at the Ralph. But when the Bills score a touchdown and "Black Betty" plays over the PA, the fans go nuts. Honestly, it is pretty fucking scary. Then the mood lightens up a little after the PAT when "Shout" plays and everyone is singing incredibly loudly. I think it should be required that every team have a song that the fans know after scoring. I'm not sure the Browns even have one. Its probably something that died with Municipal Stadium and wouldn't work anyway because everyone is hammered on gameday.

What was completely incredible to me was that I was able to see what utter dejection looks like on the home fans after a devastating loss. And of all the places to see it, in Buffalo. I really didn't appreciate it at the time because I know what the feeling is like, but in retrospect I was pretty fortunate to experience Buffalo pain firsthand. After Lindell missed the field goal attempt wide right, the entire place fell deathly silent. All I could muster up was a subtle fist pump in fear of getting absolutely mauled by some crazy Bills fan. However I really saw the love these people have for their hapless football team. They stick through thick and thin, good weather and bad to root on what has effectively become an impotent team this season. In the words of Ali G: much respect.