Monday, November 3, 2008

The Second Quarter

Yikes. The wheels are starting to fall off on many of my predictions for the 2008 NFL Football Season. Happily, all the other people who had faith in the Cowboys and Jags are in the same boat at least.

Here are the halftime results, with my predictions in brackets:

AFC EAST
Jets 5-3 [9-7]
Patriots 5-3 [11-5]
Bills 5-3 [10-6]
Dolphins 4-4 [6-10]

Maybe because this is my hometown division I actually did okay. The Bills have played agonizingly bad, especially in the fourth quarter, against their AFC East division opponents. BUT they still have the 49ers, Chiefs, and Browns on the horizon. If they can win just two of their final 4 division games they still have a shot at the playoffs and 10-6. If I knew Tom Brady was going to get hurt I would have thought the Patriots would finish in last place. The Pats have done a good job of being an okay team without the best player in the NFL.

AFC NORTH
Steelers 5-2 [7-9]
Ravens 5-3 [4-12]
Browns 3-5 [8-8]
Bengals 1-8 [6-10]

In making my predictions I had the most difficult time with this division. The Ravens and Joe Flacco have blown me away, but I'm still seriously not sold on the Steelers. A loss tonight against the Skins, mounting injuires, and a tough schedule to end the season will still make it difficult for them to make the playoffs. As for the Browns...I am mad I believed in them. Is it Brady Quinn time yet?

AFC SOUTH
Titans 8-0 [7-9]
Colts 4-4 [8-8]
Jaguars 3-5 [12-4]
Texans 3-5 [10-6]

The Titans are definitely the surprise team of the league. Their defense is Raven/Buc like and might lead to the most pure Super Bowl ever (Giants/Titans). I am sad I didn't see the Titans domination coming, but did draft Chris Johnson in my fantasy league. The Jags miss Marcus Stroud and their defense has been putrid. The Texans cannot win away games. As for the Colts? One ballsy pick that looks okay at the halfway point.

AFC WEST
Broncos 4-4 [7-9]
Chargers 3-5 [11-5]
Raiders 2-6 [7-9]
Chiefs 1-7 [4-12]

Western football this year is disgusting. Though they certainly won't finish 11-5, I still think the Chargers find a way to take this dung pile.

PLAYOFF TEAMS: If the playoffs started today I would hit on a measly 2 of 6. I do think that will get better though.

NFC EAST
Giants 7-1 [8-8]
Redskins 6-2 [11-5]
Eagles 5-3 [12-4]
Cowboys 5-4 [12-4]

If I had the Cowboys and Giants switched the East then I would be smart. I too got sucked in my the stars in Dallas. How did I forget the lessons of the Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith Redskins?

NFC NORTH
Bears 5-3 [5-11]
Packers 4-4 [7-9]
Vikings 4-4 [10-6]
Lions 0-8 [4-12]

With Kyle Orton out a month the Bears Norris division hopes are hit hard. Will the Lions win?

NFC SOUTH
Panthers 6-2 [7-9]
Buccaneers 6-3 [8-8]
Falcons 5-3 [9-7]
Saints 4-4 [8-8]

Not too bad here. I was half joking with my Falcons pick, making it strictly on the NFC South last place finisher being first place the next year pattern, but how bout them Falcons??? Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, and Roddy White look legit. Looking forward to watching the division games between the top three teams. The Saints just don't play defense and are looking at three players possibly missing four games due positive drug tests.

NFC WEST
Cardinals 5-3 [10-6]
Seahawks 2-6 [9-7]
49ers 2-6 [3-13]
Rams 2-6 [3-13]

Wow. I end on a high note. Sure the Seahawks won't approach 9 wins, but they've been decimated by injuries.

NFC PLAYOFFS- Again, if the playoffs started today I would hit only 2 of 6, but seriously, things will get better for me...I hope...

1 comment:

Average at Best said...

You are obviously no football god as I am a baseball god. I'm sure the picks will average out though.