Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Best Post Ever

I’m feeling a little bit of déjà vu here, but why is everyone rushing to proclaim this the greatest Super Bowl ever? Even if it was hands-down, the greatest Super Bowl ever, what’s the point of saying it? Can’t we just enjoy it for what it was? It’s like if your girlfriend/mistress asks you afterwards … “was that the best ever?” You have to say yes even if isn’t true, and even thinking about saying no will get you in trouble.

For starters, I’m not even entirely convinced it was the greatest Super Bowl. First of all, I’ve only seen a few of them (at least that I can remember in great detail) and I’m convinced that most of the people making these claims couldn’t give specific details about Super Bowl XXV or XIX any better than I could. Hell, I don’t remember details from last year’s game and I’m sure I thought it was the Best Ever at the time. Second of all, does no one remember that (aside from Harrison’s INT TD) this game COMPLETELY SUCKED for the first three quarters!?! How many damn holding penalties were there? And call me a purist, but I would have liked to have seen some exciting runs at some point in the game – there was maybe one running play longer than ten yards.

I’m not just saying this because I predicted the Super Bowl would be terrible, and I whole-heartedly agree it was a great, even terrific finish. But just because the last ten minutes were exciting doesn’t make it the best GAME ever.

No comments: