Monday, January 21, 2008

My "friend" Doug is rooting for the Giants!


I have a friend named Doug Smith who looks like Winnie the Pooh. He's on the far right, and yes he's completely sober. He recently revealed to me that he is rooting for the New York Football Giants. I am beyond chagrined.

No self-respecting Bills fan should root for the Giants, and here's why:

1) Buffalo is an AFC Town. My persnal rule is unless the Tampa Bay Bucs are playing (I have an unhealthy man crush on their former Buccaneer logo and Mike Alstott) I always root for the AFC team. Sure, these are the Bills foes, but the AFC has to stick together. I hate them all when they play the Bills, but there is still some arrogance from the pre-merger days and from the impressive NFC win streak throughout the 80s and 90s. Plus, historically the NFC held off on the merger until the 1966 season. Hey guess who won the AFL in 1964 and 1965, oh yeah that'd be the Buffalo Bills. F'd out of Super Bowl I by douche bag NFC owners.

2) Yeah, Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison are pieces of shit.

But the Giants?

Plaxico Burress is a Randy Moss wannabe. He takes plays off like its his job. Shockey? Gap toothed Strahan?

Eli Manning is not only homosexual, but is a "Manning." The amount of times we see Archie talk about Peyton and see both of them in commercials will easily beat the Belichek/Brady combo (see previous article).



3) What about history? The team that beat the Bills in one of the most heartbreaking Super Bowls of all time...you are going to root for them now? Doug's cousins, Bruce and Leonard Smith are crying right now.

4) What about the comedy of it all? Goodell having to hand the Lombardi to Belichick after the whole scandal is captivating TV. You are telling me you'd rather see him hand it over to Eli so we can watch him cry and try to speak his inane southern drawl with a hint of fairy accent?

5) How about the 72 Dolphins? For over 30 years we've had to hear about them being the only undefeated team. Finally, that could be put to rest. Sure, we would have to hear about the Pats, but we're going to hear about them either way, as the team who choked away the final game of a historic season, or as the team that pulled it off.

6) What about the fans? Sure Patriots fans are smug and Yankee like these days. But living in Syracuse half the people including most of my office is Giants fans. To live with constant talk of Norwood, and how the Giants are an all time great franchise and Eli is the second coming is beyond adequate explanation in mere words. Being forced to listen to a Giants fan talk in the office makes me want to quit my job.

So yeah, I'm rooting for the Patriots. And though some of my reasons may be personal, I think I provide a strong argument for rooting for them if you are a Bills fan or just my friend, for my sake.

1 comment:

Average at Best said...

I agree. I don't see why Giants fans insist that Eli Manning is the second coming of whatever. He's the second coming of Trent Dilfer if anything. I know you love Dilfer, but Dilfer was mediocre at best. What a bunch of retards.

I hope the Giants get their asses handed to them in typical Pats fashion and Plaxico gets Asante Samuel's dick down his throat.