Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Marv-elous

Though after only two years on the job it is obviously a bit premature to call Marv Levy's tenure as Bills GM "marvelous" I think he did a fine job in restructuring a roster that was in dire straits after the woeful management of Tom Donahoe.

When everyone, including myself, said Donte who? When the Bills drafted Donte Whitner, Levy weathered the "experts" D and F draft grades. Whitner went on to make the NFL All-Rookie team and continue to be a playmaker and leader on the Bills defense. The Bills first pick this year, Marshawn Lynch, has also been consistent and gained 1,000 yards despite missing a couple of games with injuries. I know the draft isn't just the first round, and Levy's other picks have been solid thus far, as fans of the Bills will all recognize these guys as starting for the Bills at different times this season: Ko Simpson, Brad Butler, Keith Ellison, Kyle Williams, Ashton Youboty, John McCargo, Trent Edwards and Paul Posluszny.

So even though the Bills have struggled through two consecutive 7-9 records I think Levy has set the team up for success next season. I know I am a despicable homer in Bills predictions, but with another infusion of new talent, the windfall of a full season of Posluszny, and a fantastic schedule that includes the AFC and NFC West I really think the Bills will make the playoffs for the first time this millennium...next season.

So at the mid-season I made seven predictions. Let's see how I did:

- I've been harping all season about the turnarounds of former last place teams. This year, only two of the average three teams went worst to playoffs. The Redskins and the Buccaneers pulled it off, while the Browns came up just short. Though it may seem unbelievable at this time fans of the Dolphins, Ravens, Texans, Chiefs, Eagles, Bears, Falcons, and Rams have a real reason to look forward to next season (I'm already thinking Texans, Bears, and Eagles look like great bets).

- I said that no team in the NFC West would finish with above an 8-8 record...and was wrong. The Seahawks got hot. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Redskins pull off the minor upset though this week.

- I said the Lions would really have to earn their playoff spot, pointing out their Bataan Death March of a second half schedule. The Lions turned cowardly in the face of adversity and ended up free-falling.

- I predicted that Adrian Peterson would get hurt in the second half...and I was right. I think this is the first in a probable series of injuries for Peterson. It was strange that when Peterson didn't play the Vikings got hot, and when he came back he was stonewalled, and the Vikings choked away their last two games.

- I said that Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid were done in Philly...and now it looks like I'm probably wrong. McNabb ended the season strongly, and Reid seemed more willing to talk about his family issues appeasing the ravenous Philly press...Kevin Kolb still lurks though...

- I predicted that no team in the AFC South would finish with a losing record...and I was right. All of the AFC South teams look strong for the foreseeable future.

- I thought Time Warner would burn if it didn't settle with the NFL Network by the time of the Pats and Giants game for perfection. The NFL simulcasted the game on CBS and NBC in a brilliant stroke, giving the game the highest regular season ratings in twelve years, and giving itself a three hour commercial for the essential nature of NFL Network.

- Sadly the Bills did not make the playoffs. That will not stop me from picking them next year (see above).

2 comments:

Rocky Top said...

The NFL Network also had a three hour commercial for its terrible broadcasting. Bryant Gumbel? I might be more intrigued with a Gumbel/Gumbel duo.

B-Rad said...

Ha ha true, but come on...all those commercials for the combine had you a bit intrigued didn't they?