Thursday, September 13, 2007

Cry Me A River


When a perennial playoff team like the Giants starts the season off struggling it gives me warm fuzzies. Not unlike the too brief period of Quincy Carter in Dallas, Tim Rattay in San Francisco, or Cleo Lemon in Miami. When historically good football teams lose I love it. I love it because I am a fan of the Buffalo Bills.

Giants fans are not alone in their whining ways, but since many live amongst Bills fans I hear their complaints louder.

A Giants fan complains about Jared Lorenzen. Until they have started Alex Van Pelt, Rob Johnson, or Billy Joe Hobert they can just take a deep breath and relax.

Here's some things to keep in mind to dry those Giant tears:

Think of the Super Bowls! Giants fans have short memories. They know what it is like to win the Super Bowl. Super Bowl XXI and XXV were not that long ago, and for many Giants fans who grew up in my generation those victories were part of their formative years as football fans. Instead, in my formative years as a fan, I remember excitedly watching the Bills trounce the rest of the AFC, and then after Super Bowl XXV seeing my Dad tear up, the only time I remember the burly carhart wearing grizzly man form tears in his eyes during my entire youth.

When I was watching the Broncos game this past Sunday I knew the Bills were going to lose. I just didn't know how. Why did I know they were going to lose? Easy. The Bills do not know how to win. In the last seven seasons they have not been in the playoffs and their best record in that span is 9-7. The Bills have created a culture of losing.

The Giants don't have a culture of losing. They historically have had a pompous, Cory Feldman in "The Goonies" attitude. For example, the Giants have a famous two letter player: LT. Known as one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history, he snorted coke off strippers, and then won games. The Bills have a famous two letter player: OJ. Known as one of the greatest running backs in history, he ditched Buffalo for San Francisco, sliced and diced two people, and was part of the teams that lost to the hated Miami Dolphins 20 straight times.

Don't forget either that people want to play for the Giants. Eli Manning famously held out for a trade from the Chargers to play for the G-Men. Meanwhile, a dirty scumbag like Willis McGahee can't wait to get out of Buffalo, spewing hatred of its night life, restaurants and women (but of course he impregnated some of Buffalo's beauties).

So before a Giants fan gets sad. Before they start feeling sorry for themselves. They should realize things could be a lot worse...they could be a fan of the Buffalo Bills.

No comments: