Monday, January 12, 2009

Just when you think you have it figured out...

I didn't boast (unlike certain people who will probably etch their 08 Devil Rays pick on their gravestone) about going 4-0 in NFL playoff picks because I knew that it would all come crashing down. I did not realize the flourish in which the picks would falter.

Titans v. Ravens
I liked my Titans pick. I think the Titans were the better team, but the Ravens deserved the win. Two turnovers by the Ravens D deep in their territory was classic bend/don't break veteran defense. The Ravens also were lucky. On offense, the play clock obviously struck zero before the snap, but it was not called and the Ravens were allowed to complete a pass to Todd Heap to set up the game winning field goal. Chris Johnson's injury was huge as he was having a productive game, and LenDale White cannot run on the Ravens. White can run on a soft team like the Bengals or Browns, but not the Ravens. The Titans offense is not as imposing without him. After the game, and being informed that my perfect predictions were over, I told Rahul that I would be wrong on all the games...

Panthers v. Cardinals
I watched the opening drive of this game, 7-0 Panthers lickity split. Since the Sabres were playing the Red Wings and Cuse was playing Rutgers my buddy OC and I didn't check the score until sometime in the third quarter when it was 27-7. We were shocked. That was the game Vegas made a killing on. I still can't believe it. The Cardinals are awful. Their week 16 47-7 drubbing at the hands of the Patriots was the Cardinals I remembered. Sure Jake Delhomme was putrid, but still...

Giants v. Eagles
I should have known former Bills offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride would find some way to mess up the Giants run. His refusal to give the ball to Brandon Jacobs is indefensible. I know Jacobs was stuffed on one of the many 3rd and 4th and shorts, but they would not have been in that position if they just gave the big man the ball more. I do legitimately worry for America if Philadelphia follows up the World Series with a Super Bowl win. Isn't this one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

Steelers v. Chargers
My one upset special is the one that failed. I did like Phillip Rivers being a cocky jerk though even when the game was out of hand. I've been telling anyone who will listen that Big Ben is five years away from being Drew Bledsoe, but yesterday he proved me wrong. I had a bad feeling about this pick after the Vincent Jackson DWI, those kind of distractions usually equal a loss.

So I'm still hoping for a winning playoff pick em season and am not scared to make my picks on Monday. I'm going with the Ravens and the Eagles, of course that means that the Cardinals and Steelers should get ready for Tampa.

No comments: